Commemorating the Finance Ministers Meeting
Date: 24th September 1980
Stamps: 8c Bermuda via satellite; 20c Camden; 25c Princess Hotel, Hamilton and 50c Government House
Type: Official First Day Cover
CDS: MANGROVE BAY 24SEP80 BERMUDA
Cachet: Commonwealth Finance Ministers Meeting 1980. Bermuda. Official First Day Cover. Release date: 24th September 1980
Address: Postmaster Mangrove P.O.
Reverse: Bermuda map with magnifying glass (reverse)
BERMUDA COMMEMORATIVE STAMPS ISSUE
“BERMUDA COMMONWEALTH FINANCE MINISTERS’ MEETING 1980”
Each year, one week before the annual meeting of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund, the Ministers’ of Finance from some 37 Commonwealth nations meet in a member country to consider financial and economic matters which are of mutual concern.
Bound together by a common language and a history of close political and fiscal co-operation, these Ministers, and their advisers, gather together in an atmosphere of goodwill and trust for four days of discussion. Over the past decade and a half, meetings have been held in various countries around the globe, ranging as far apart as Barbados in the Atlantic to Hong Kong in the Pacific.
The 1980 Commonwealth Finance Ministers’ Meeting was held in Bermuda during the last week of September and delegates both resided and convened their meetings at the Princess Hotel located on the outskirts of the City of Hamilton, Bermuda’s capital.
During the course of their meetings, Ministers attended receptions at Government House, the residence of the representative of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth Il, and at “Camden”, the official residence of Bermuda’s Premier.
It was indeed an honour for such a small country as Bermuda, comprising some twenty-two square miles and located alone in the mid-Atlantic, to be chosen as the venue for such a gathering of senior finance officials from around the world. One can only trust that the island’s beauty and charm enhanced their discussions.
Values: 8c, 20c, 25c and 50c
Designer: Leslie D. Curtis, Surrey, England
Printer: The House of Questa, London, England
Stamps Size: 28.45mm x 42.58mm
Paper: C.A. Watermark
First Day Cover Printer: B.C. Deere, Cardiff, Wales
Official First Day Cover: $1.50 with inside descriptive liner
Release Date: 24th September, 1980
Withdrawal Date: 30th September, 1981
8 CENT STAMP “BERMUDA ISLANDS VIA SATELLITE PHOTO”
The reference material for the reproduction of the artwork for this particular subject was a coloured photograph taken from a NASA Satellite Station, in orbit in June, 1973, by a 35mm Nikon camera using a 300mm lens, at an altitude of 435 kilometres (271.87 miles). The outline of Bermuda is very clearly shown as are the outlying reefs and shoal water extending some 15 miles in a semi-circular formation mainly to the North West, North and North East of the Islands.
20 CENT STAMP “CAMDEN” – PAGET, BERMUDA
Camden Estate, comprising 19.05 acres (7.7 hectares) of land and an old Bermuda home, was acquired by the Bermuda Government in 1965, and incorporated in the Botanical Gardens on May 5th, 1966. Its earliest recorded owner, Frances Jones of “Inwood”, died of yellow fever in 1796, and is said to have been buried in the grounds. In 1823, the Hon. J. Tucker, subsequently Mayor of Hamilton from 1851 to 1870, bought the property and established an arrowroot factory on the premises, which was successfully continued by his son, Thomas Fowle Jennings Tucker, who also became Mayor of Hamilton 1885 to 1891. Camden House underwent considerable changes in the course of the centuries. Especially noteworthy are the cedar panelling and carvings in the dining room, which took 30 years to execute, the old Bermuda kitchen and peacocks and other fowl in its back yard in spacious environmental enclosures. Government has now transformed Camden into an official residence for the Premier of Bermuda, thus emulating England’s Chequers.
25 CENT STAMP “THE PRINCESS HOTEL” – PEMBROKE, BERMUDA
“The Princess Hotel”, Pembroke, is just one of the many luxury hotels found in Bermuda and sits on a northern-most promontory of Hamilton Harbour commanding the most magnificent views from the South East to the South West overlooking the sun glinting waters of the harbour, dotted with small islands and an interesting array of craft ranging from the size of a rowboat, to scurrying ferry boats and ocean-going luxury liners, all having in one way or another to pass the stately “Princess”. The house was built by a Bermudian Company in 1884 and opened in 1885, and named in honour of Princess Louise – daughter of Queen Victoria – who visited Bermuda in 1883. Modernized and beautifully maintained to the highest standard for the luxury vacationer, The “Princess” offers fine restaurants, shopping and all the services expected of a top International Hotel. Bermuda cedar wood, which our famous sailing ships were built from for centuries, is used most extensively and is an interestingly worked feature throughout the interior of the “Princess”.
50 CENT STAMP “GOVERNMENT HOUSE” – PEMBROKE, BERMUDA
“Government House” commenced in 1886 and was completed and ready for occupancy in 1892. It is situated on the north shore of Pembroke Parish, with a commanding view of the ocean on one side, and of the City of Hamilton on the other. The grounds, about 45 acres (18 hectares) are beautifully landscaped and make a perfect setting for this most impressive mansion provided by the Colony for the representative of the Queen. Its main gate is reached on the crest of the road leading up Langton Hill, and the driveway runs through the grounds to another gate on the North Shore Road.
Type: Signed Promotional First Day Issue
CDS: 24SEP80A HAMILTON BERMUDA
Cachet: The Princess Bermuda “Commonwealth Finance Ministers Meeting” 24th September 1980. Signed With compliments Cy Elkins, Vice President & General Manager
Address: Postmaster Mangrove P.O.
P. O. BOX 837
CABLE PRINCESS BERMUDA
Vice President & General Manager
FROM: Director of Public RelatIons
Telephone (809·291) 5-3000
ANOTHER FIRST FOR “THE PRINCESS HOTEL”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Princess Hotel is proud to have been chosen to be part of a special four-stamp First-Day Issue, commemorating the prestigious Commonwealth Finance Ministers Meeting 1980, being held at The Princess Hotel, Bermuda, in September.
Many dignitaries have stayed at our Hotel, which took it’s name originally from Princess Louise, Queen Victoria’s daughter, the first Royal. Personage to visit The Princess in 1883.
The Princess Hotel has seen many changes in the past century; it is the flagship of Princess Hotels International and can offer excellent convention facilities and superb accommodation.
The Princess Hotel is pleased to present to you this special First-Day Issue, showing The Princess Hotel, Government House, Camden House – the Premier’s private residence – and an aerial view of the Islands of Bermuda, as a token of our goodwill and continued association.
LOGOS: Member – American Society of Travel Agents / American Hotel & Motel Association